Client: Ramsey County
SEH #: 127400
Project Name: I-35W Interchange at Highway 96 - Traffic Analysis, Environmental Document, Preliminary and Final Design
Interchange Background and History
The I-35W Interchange at Highway 96 provides access to areas in Arden Hills, New Brighton, Shoreview and the 397 acre former Twin Cities Army Ammunitions Plant (TCAAP) site, which Ramsey County took title to in April 2013. The County is overseeing the clean up, sale, and redevelopment of the site and is also charged with proving adequate and safe access to the site.
In the fall of 2013, the County completed an Interchange Concept Development and Analysis of the Highway 96 and County Road H interchanges at I-35W in order to explore interchange configurations and refine project cost estimates. The study included analysis of four types of interchanges at Highway 96 and five interchange configurations at County Road H. Based on the analysis, the preferred interchange concept for the Highway 96/I-35W interchange was a diamond interchange.
The existing interchange bridges over I-35W at Hwy 96 have structural deficiencies and the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) has planned for their reconstructed in 2015 and 2016. The Highway 96 at I-35W interchange is programmed for 2015 construction and the nearby County Road H interchange is planned for 2016 construction.
I-35W at Highway 96 Interchange Project
Ramsey County has selected the consultant firm SEH to prepare Traffic Analysis, Environmental Documentation, and Preliminary and Final Design for the I-35W Interchange at Highway 96. The project will provide structurally sound bridges/crossings and improve capacity and safety of the interchange.
Project Update - May 2014
SEH, the design consultant, has completed several important milestones in the project:
- Traffic Operations Study is Complete
- Environmental Analysis is Underway
- Soil Testing and Investigation is Underway
- Concept Layout Alternatives Developed
- Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) selected as Recommended Layout
- Municipal Consent of DDI anticipated in June 2014.
Related Project Update
A public open house meeting for TCAAP Infrastructure is planned for Tuesday, December 9 from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at Ramsey County Public Works (1425 Paul Kirkwold Drive, Arden Hills, MN 55112) in the Marsden Room. Details regarding a number of transportation improvements related to the redevelopment of the TCAAP site will be available.
Recommended Layout, Project Documents, and Helpful Links:
- Recommended Detailed Layout - DDI
- Traffic Simulation Video of Recommended Layout- DDI Video
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Diverging Diamond Interchange Informational Video
- City of Bloomington Case Study – Diverging Diamond Interchange Video
- Construction Phasing and Detours Plan
Archive of Concept Layout Alternatives Considered:
- Diverging Diamond Interchange Concept (Recommended Alternative)
- Traditional Signalized Diamond Interchange Concept (Alternative)
- Diamond with Roundabouts Interchange Concept (Dismissed Alternative)
- Ramsey County Public Works Department
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)
- City of Arden Hills
- City of New Brighton
- Rice Creek Watershed District (RCWD)
The County has requested $35.5 million in State Bond funding from the legislature to provide for pre-design, design, and construction of improvements for the redevelopment of the TCAAP Site. This request includes the interchanges on I-35W with Highway 96 and County Road H as well as the spine road through the TCAAP Site. State Bond funds will be combined with State Trunk Highway funds and local funds (County State Aid Highway (CSAH), County Turnback, and city funds) to fully fund the planned improvements.
Preferred Concept Layout Selected – April 2014
Public Open House – May 20, 2014
Municipal Consent – June 2014
Preliminary Design Complete – Summer 2014
Final Design Complete – January 2015
Bid Letting – March 2015
Construction – April to November 2015