Area residents needed a safer route to cross two busy roadways to enter a newly-redesigned park system.
The SEH team designed a pedestrian and cycling bridge that spanning the busy U.S. 41/Indianapolis Boulevard and New York Avenue. The bridge connects the Wolf Lake Recreation Area and the Whiting Lakefront Improvements. The crossing feature enhanced visibility, green roof planting and illumination for night use.
- 2012 Outstanding Transportation Project | Indiana Metropolitan Planning Organization Council of the Northwest Indiana Regional Development Authority
- 2013 Merit Award | American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) – Indiana Chapter (ACEC-Indiana)
George Lake Trail Pedestrian Bridge
Hammond Port Authority
- The bridge deck width allows for raised planters with green roof plants.
- The bridge is a planted island floating over two busy roadways.
- An overhead trellis adds to visual effect, providing enclosure and illumination for trail users and visibility from streets.
- The bridge is a safe, grade-separated crossing of busy four-lane state route.
- The bridge is the final link in an extensive local trail system connecting Hammond to Lake Michigan shoreline.